Spotlight Biomedical Media Communications (BMC)
Did You Know?
- Major awards for our department include the International TV
Association award for "Life with Down Syndrome" and the Health and
Sciences Communications Association award for "Internet and Health Care
- We produce two way interactive videoconferences that connect UConn
not only to our local and regional community, but to participants around
the globe. One example is "A Debate: Homeopathy-Quackery or a Key to the
Future of Medicine," a live and on-demand webcast with nearly 10,000
hits from all over the world.
BMC in the Community
- Our department produces programs for a variety of state
agencies, including the Governor, State Attorney General,
State Treasurer, Public Health, and Social Services, such as
the UConn Health Colon Cancer Prevention Program DVD and webcast,
for which we have produced and distributed 4,000 DVDs to
- Our resident photographer serves on the UConn Health art
committee, assisting in cataloguing and hanging shows for
the UConn Health art collection, which is located across the
Farmington campus and satellite offices and is valued at
- There are several professional artists in our department including
an oil painter, a photographer who gives private photography lessons,
and a wedding videographer.
- Our employees are out and about in their community volunteering in
various ways, including working at the Hartford Jazz Fest in Bushnell
Park and annual Audubon Society fundraiser, and exploring career paths
with church youth.
- Hobbies within our department include training dogs in the sport of
agility, raising llamas, and interior decorating.
- One of our long time employees began as an intern with the
department at its start in 1970 and became a full time employee the
- Our team works with a wide scope of people at UConn Health and we enjoy the
creative and technological challenges our jobs present every day.
William Hengstenberg, University Director
- Say cheese: In 2008,
our photographer took portrait pictures of over 500
- Stop the presses!: We
printed 7,671 square feet of posters in the past 12
- Logged on: We
currently have nearly 1,000 webcasts online for
education, public information, and marketing
- Like a rolling stone:
In 1970, our department was originally located on an
upper floor of The Hartford, then moved to McCook
Hospital, followed by vacant spaces in the MDLs in
the Academic wing of UConn Health and finally came to rest
in our current location by Low Learning Center
- Staying power: The
average years of employment service of our team is