Left to right: front row: Andres Sinisterra, Steve Jacobs, Patti Wawyniecki,
Tiffany Gough, and Liz Pokorski. Back row: Ryan Cawley, Dave Bourret, Rob
Speers, Ken Price, Jim Fomenko, Bob Lawson. Back center: Ron Wallace
- Lock down ... each year our
office verifies that 20,000 UConn Health doors are secured
per regulatory requirements.
- A healthy glow ... we issue and
review 14,000 radiation monitoring badges annually
to ensure UConn Health staff maintains a safe level of
exposure to x-rays and other radioactive materials.
- Taking out the trash ... our
department ensures the proper handling and disposal
of 22,000 pounds of chemical hazardous waste and
8,500 pounds of radioactive waste per year.
- The department that plays together ...
one weekend a year our department has an annual two
night, 36 hole golf tournament. We have traveled to
various locations including New York, Massachusetts,
Vermont, Maine, and New Hampshire.
Meet the Department
- Kenneth Price, University Director
- Steve Jacobs, Assistant Director
- David Bourret, Research Safety Specialist
- Ryan Cawley, Radiation Safety Technician
- Jim Fomenko, Assistant Radiation Safety Officer
- Tiffany Gough, Administrative Program Assistant
- Robert Lawson, Research Safety Specialist
- Liz Pokorski, Administrative Program Coordinator
- Andres Sinisterra, Assistant Radiation Safety Officer
- Rob Speers, Research Safety Specialist
- Ron Wallace, Biological Safety Officer
- Patti Wawzyniecki, Industrial Hygienist
Did You Know?
- We are a service oriented department that works with the
entire UConn Health, including Correctional Managed Health
Care (CMHC) and UConn Health Partners, allowing us to
understand the needs of a wide range of people.
- The oversight, guidance, and training we provide
regarding regulatory agencies such as OSHA, EPA, DEP and the
Department of Health helps ensure a safe working environment
for researchers, clinicians, staff, students, and patients
- One of the services provided by our department is
ergonomic evaluations of work space and tasks, and
recommendations for improvement.
- We provide training and consultation services for the
shipping of hazardous materials, as well as import/export
- We have several battery recycling bins, including one
outside our offices on the ground floor of Building 20,
where you can drop off used batteries from your department
to be recycled.
Research Safety in the Community
- Our department is a key participant in the annual Health
Safety and Environment Fair for the UConn Health community, which
one of our members co-chairs.
- We play a major role in the Environment of Care
cross-departmental committee to promote and ensure patient
- Among our ranks is a marathon runner (including the Boston
and NY marathons), a hunter/fisherman, a scuba diver, a power
volley ball player, and several golfers. One of our team members
has even run with the bulls in Pamplona!
- Our staff is active in outside charities and organizations,
including MACC charities and church service/mission trips to
- One of our long time employees not only plays guitar in the
UConn Health band Seizure, but is also a watercolor painter.